Tuesday, December 3, 2013

12 Days of 12 Cranial Nerves

On the 12th day of christmas, my true love gave to me 12 cranial nerves...

I realized if I wrote down detailed organized notes about the cranial nerves that it would make my life easier during the exams when I wouldn't have time to jump back and forth to all the references to revise the full picture of each nerve. I decided to share these notes on the web for other students - those suffering through the hardship of the CNS system more than Katniss suffered through the Hunger Games - to make use of. 

I tried to include everything about each nerve: from its brainstem nuclei, to its route and motor/sensory supply and ganglia, with pictures hopefully clarifying whatever it is that is probably not very clear (well whatever wasn't clear to me).

I will not go in order of the cranial nerves (starting with Olfactory and ending with Hypoglossal) because I will post them in the order I study. I started studying the Trigeminal nerve first and therefore will post that first even though it is the 5th cranial nerve.

I will include the references I used at the bottom.

For the cranial nerves keep the following mnemonics in mind (Some medical genius made our life easier. Whoever you are, thank you!):
- For determining whether Sensory/Motor/Both supply:
Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Butts Matter More.

- For remembering the order of cranial nerves:
Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Very Good Velvet AH.

A reminder of the cranial nerves:
1. Olfactory (one nose = nerve number 1)
2. Optic (2 eyes = nerve number 2)
3. Occulomotor
4. Trochlear
5. Trigeminal
6. Abducent
7. Facial
8. Vestibulocochlear
9. Glossopharyngeal
10. Vagus
11. Accessory
12. Hypoglossal

No comments:

Post a Comment